The final report [ 1 MB] on the Sustainable City of Sustainable Neighbourhoods project describes the development of the project. It includes descriptions of early project concept, through the discussions and consultations, to the final symposium and follow-up. Topics covered include the challenges in attempting to convene a neighbourhoods advisory group composed of representatives from each of the City’s 23 local areas; the City’s extensive web of sustainable development related policies — and the diversity of ideas about the meaning of ‘sustainability’ for neighbourhoods; and, the challenges of convening a diverse group of neighbourhood organizations.
Reference Materials and Working Documents
Reference materials and working documents relating to the two-part symposium held in April 2011 were uploaded to a micro-website during the project. The micro-site also contains background materials relating to the organization of the symposium.
Some direct links:
- Symposium invitation posters – public event and invitational symposium
- Morning session questions and discussion notes
- Afternoon session strategies and discussion notes
- Voting results from afternoon session strategies [png image]
- Possible actions (grouped by theme) developed at the symposium
- Collection of stickies with responses completing the statement: A neighbourhood isn’t sustainable without…
- Community organizations invited to the symposium
- Display materials and background information prepared for the symposium
- Summary Notes for Neighborhoods Advisory Group meetings and Post-Symposium Action Planning meeting
Videos of the 14 presentations made by citizens active in enhancing the sustainability of their neighbourhoods can be viewed on YouTube. These videos include the presentation made by VCPC project committee chair Eileen Keenan on sustainability in neighbourhoods (below). The list is available here, with links to the individual videos, or go to the Commission’s Neighbourhoods2011 YouTube channel.
Council Report and Presentation
The report on the Sustainable Neighbourhoods project was presented to Council on July 28, 2011. The agenda for the Council meeting provides a link to the formal version of the written report , and a link to a video recording of the meeting. The presentation slides provide highlights of the presentation.