- This event has passed.
The Second “Everything you wished you knew about Planning, and thank goodness someone told me about THAT” Fail Fair
January 31 @ 6:30 pm - 8:30 pm$25 - $40
Via Planning Institute of British Columbia (PIBC):
The PIBC South Coast Chapter is hosting a Fail Fair – an event that celebrates failure (or great learning) as a mark of innovation and risk-taking.In such a results-oriented work environment, it is easy for a fear of failure to take hold. We avoid sharing our experiences of things not going according to plan, for fear of being judged. But we can learn as much from challenges, mistakes and mishaps as we can from success.
Failure is NOT a source of shame and instead is an opportunity. Failure shows leadership, innovation, and risk-taking in pushing the boundaries of what is possible in forging new approaches and what become new best practices. There is great value in examining our mistakes as we go beyond the easy and the simple. So while we encourage irreverence and humor, we will also be improving our profession!
This event will allow planners of all levels of experience to discuss shared failures, examine mistakes and learn from each other’s experiences in an informal, roundtable format. Audience participation is not only encouraged, it is mandatory!
There will be some ground rules:
- Everyone in attendance is encouraged to present or share their story.
- Perhaps as a new planner you may not have a “failure”, but you might have a “professional insecurity” or “imposter syndrome” to share.
- Only ‘true’ failures to be presented. Failures such as ‘I was late to a meeting’, ‘I missed my flight’ or the job interview classic ‘I am a perfectionist’ are discouraged.
- The person presenting the failure must be personally involved in the failure. To avoid any outing or finger pointing, please present an experience of your own making.
- No blaming. No laying responsibility for the failure at the feet of another person.
- No recording and no naming afterwards. This is key to making everyone feel comfortable. Only the learning lives on…
January 31, 2018 – 6:30pm – 8:30pm
Downtown Vancouver Public Library
350 West Georgia Street
Attendance at the event qualifies for 2.0 (Organized and Structured) Learning Units for PIBC CPL.
PIBC Members: $25
All prices are subject to 5% Goods & Services Tax (GST).
Registration Deadline will be on Tuesday January 30, 2018 at noon. All registrations are final. No refunds or cancellations are permitted; however, in the event that a registrant is not able to attend, substitution of a different attendee may be accepted if arranged in advance. Any registrant requiring substitution should contact PIBC no later than January 30, 2018.
Want to see your event listed in this calendar? Please send us an email and tell us about it.
For a full list of City of Vancouver events, please visit their upcoming events page.
If you are looking for a calendar of City of Vancouver open houses, workshops or public hearings, the team at CityDuo has a regularly updated calendar (external/unaffiliated link)