- This event has passed.
Bold Actions for a Climate Emergency
February 3 @ 6:00 pm - 9:30 pm PST$10 – $20
The City of Vancouver acknowledges that this event is situated on the unceded traditional territories of the Musqueam, Squamish, and Tsleil-Waututh peoples.
Vancouver has been working on becoming the greenest city in the world for nearly a decade – but tackling climate change beyond 2020 comes with a new sense of urgency.
It’s time to be more ambitious than ever before – that’s why we’re inviting you to help scale up our efforts together to create a more equitable, healthy, and thriving future for our city.
On February 3 join the City of Vancouver for – BOLD ACTIONS for a CLIMATE EMERGENCY – a conversation on what climate emergency means for Vancouver and what we need to do to get real about it.
This event is the kick-off to a series of opportunities and dialogues designed to inspire and inform an ambitious action plan for Vancouver that responds to the climate crisis.
Who’s joining us:
- Special musical guests, Hey Ocean!
- Johanna Wagstaffe, meteorologist and science host for CBC News
- Simon Donner, UBC Professor and Climate Change Expert
- Am Johal, Director of SFU’s Office of Community Engagement
- Tzeporah Berman, Author, Activist, and Director of Stand.Earth
- Dr. Patricia Daly, Chief Medical Health Officer of Vancouver Coastal Health
- Local youth climate leaders, the Sustainabiliteens
- And more!
Plus – City of Vancouver staff and a variety of Vancouver-based environmental groups and non-profits will be there to help you learn how to take meaningful action on climate change.
- Presentations and personal reflections from experts and thought leaders about the scale of the climate crisis, the urgency needed for action, and the importance of climate justice.
- A moderated dialogue called TRUE STORIES OF WHEN WE WERE BOLD. Speakers will reflect on a variety of social transformative events in history and what they can teach us about collective action as well as the public’s role in systems change.
- An overview from a City representative about how Vancouver is planning to be bold in its next environmental and climate response plan, as well as an audience invitation to be involved in next steps.
- A performance from Vancouver-based musicians Hey Ocean!, highlighting the power of the collective in the room and inspiring people to leave the event with high energy and commitment to working boldly together.
- A BOLD ACTIONS exhibition in the lobby before and after the event, showcasing opportunities to be involved in the City’s plan as well as with local organizations doing climate action work.
6:00pm to 6:45pm – BOLD ACTIONS Exhibition
6:45pm to 9:30pm – Programmed event
The Orpheum Theatre is located in the heart of downtown Vancouver, so it is easily accessible by bus and only a short walk from the Skytrain.
Wheelchair access to the Orpheum Theatre is through the Smithe Street entrance, where staff can direct you to the elevator. Wheelchair seating is also available – please indicate if you require this when you order your ticket.
***No one turned away for lack of funds, if you aren’t able to pay the ticket price, please email us: email@example.com
Want to see your event listed in this calendar? Please send us an email and tell us about it.
For a full list of City of Vancouver events, please visit their upcoming events page.
If you are looking for a calendar of City of Vancouver open houses, workshops or public hearings, the team at CityDuo has a regularly updated calendar (external/unaffiliated link)