For the official version of the Vancouver City Planning Commission by-law, view or download the PDF version at the City of Vancouver website .
Please note that clauses 2c-e are under revision bring the terms into consistency with those in clauses 2a-b.
By-Law No. 5064
A By-law to create a Commission, to be known as the Vancouver City Planning Commission, to prescribe the personnel thereof and the powers and duties of the same.
WHEREAS by Section 574 of the Vancouver Charter, Statutes of British Columbia 1953, Chapter 55, as enacted by the Vancouver Charter Amendment Act 1959, Chapter 107, the Council of the City of Vancouver is empowered to create a Commission to advise the Council on planning matters, and to prescribe the personnel to comprise such Commission and the powers and duties of such Commission;
AND WHEREAS the said Council deems it expedient to create such Commission;
NOW THEREFORE THE COUNCIL OF THE CITY OF VANCOUVER in open meeting assembled enacts as follows:
1. A Commission to be known as the “Vancouver City Planning Commission”, hereinafter referred to as the “Commission”, is hereby created.
2. The Commission is to consist of 13 members, appointed as follows:
(a) six members to be appointed by Council in the year 2012, and in all even numbered years thereafter, for terms expiring on December 31st of the year following their appointment, or until their successors are appointed;
(b) five members to be appointed by Council in the year 2012, for terms expiring on December 31st, 2012, and then in the year 2013, and in all odd numbered years thereafter, for terms expiring on December 31st of the year following their appointment, or until their successors are appointed; and
(c) two members to be appointed by the Commission members appointed under (a) and (b). Both members shall initially be appointed at a Commission meeting held as soon as is practicable after Council appoints the other members in 2012. One member shall be appointed for a one year term and the other for a two year term. After the expiry of the one year term, every further appointment by the Commission members shall alternate between a two year term and a one year term, and shall be made at a Commission meeting held as soon as is practicable after Council has appointed members under (a) or (b).
(d) 1 individual whom the members appointed under subsections (a) to (c) are to appoint, immediately after they become members, for alternating terms not to exceed two years and one year more or less; and
(e) 1 individual whom the members appointed under subsections (a) to (c) are to appoint, immediately after they become members, for alternating terms not to exceed one year and two years more or less.
3. Every member is eligible for re-appointment, but in no event shall the member serve more than three consecutive terms.
4. Any member who, without leave of the Commission, does not attend
(a) three consecutive regular meetings of the Commission, or
(b) five regular meetings of the Commission within a calendar year shall immediately cease to be a member of the Commission and the appointment of such member is terminated.
5. Any vacancy caused by the death, removal, or resignation of a member shall be filled by the appointing authority for the unexpired term of such member.
6. Every person appointed to the Commission pursuant to section 2 hereof shall:
(1)(a) be an elector of the City, or
(1)(b) have been a resident of the Greater Vancouver Regional District for not less than six consecutive months immediately preceding the appointment;
(2) not be a member of the Council of the City;
(3) not be an employee of the City, Board of School Trustees District No. 39 (Vancouver), or the Board of Parks and Recreation of the City of Vancouver.
7. The duties of the Commission shall be to assist City Council in an advisory capacity by considering and submitting reports to City Council on matters relating to the planning and development of the City and in particular, but without restricting the generality of the foregoing:
(a) to represent ideas and opinions about the future of the city, as citizens of the City of Vancouver;
(b) to consider and report to Council on any proposal likely to have a significant effect on the future of the City;
(c) to submit annually to Council a suggested budget.
8. No member of the Commission shall receive any remuneration for services other than allowances for actual expenses necessarily incurred in the discharge of official duties.
9. (1) The Commission shall be presided over by a Chairman to be chosen by itself annually from among its members.
(2) A quorum of the Commission is to consist of the majority of its members.
(3) The Commission shall meet not less than twelve times annually, such meetings to be at the call of the Chair.
(4) Subject to the provisions of subsections (2) and (3) hereof, the Commission may adopt rules for its procedure and may, from time to time, vary such rules by the affirmative vote of a majority of all the members of the Commission and may appoint special and standing committees. Where no rule has been made, then the rules of City Council shall apply.
10. All regular meetings of the Commission shall be open to anyone wishing to attend as an observer.
11. The Planning Department of the City, through its Director, shall be available to the Commission for assistance in undertaking of studies and the preparation of reports required by the Commission provided that if a major expenditure of time and effort is necessarily involved on the part of the Planning Department, the approval of the City Council shall be first obtained.
12. In all other matters not provided for by this By-law, the Commission shall determine its own procedure.
13. All appointments made pursuant to By-law No. 4846 as amended are hereby rescinded.
(Consolidated for convenience only to January 31, 2012)